Friday, January 14, 2005

Cold, Stinky, Circus People (or Skankie Frankie and the Cellar Trolls)

AHHHH, Happy Friday everyone!

The boys are gone. The boys being my boss and his son. Yes, that's what I call them. I mean it in an endearing way. Really I do.

Anyway, the boys are gone. It's just me and my LARGE coffee, and the radio, and the computer. I love working alone. Sometimes it is lonely, but not often because Shelli is usually online to keep me company. I love the solitude and of course I love the fact that I am my own boss.

It has been one hell of a long week for me. Let's see where should I begin? Things broke this week. Things like my shower, and my heater, and my washer.

First it was the heater, actually that was a couple of weeks ago, Yes, I said a couple of weeks ago. That's right it has been a bit chilly in casa de sissychong. I had to practically hit my landlord over the head with a club and drag him back to my apartment, caveman style, to get the heater fixed. First he wanted us to get the part and fix it. We refused. Then he wanted us to get the part and he would fix it. That never happened. So it came down to the caveman club: "call the gas company to come and fix my heat or I will have to make a few calls myself". One knock on the door, 20 minutes and $175.00 later, viola, I have heat.

And the washer? It broke on Sunday. We do a lot of laundry. There are 6 people in my home, did I say we do a lot of laundry? Yea, ALOT. We located a used washer for sale from a friend of a friend of a friend of the family. And we could get it on Monday. Great! Well Monday turned into Tuesday, which materialized into Wednesday, which disintergrated into Thursday, and here I am on Friday...sans washer. We have all but run out of clothes and have taken to wearing whatever we can scrounge up from each other. Oh its horrible. I have on my daughters shirt. My son has on his brothers socks and his fathers underwear (a new pair unused). My daughter had to wear a pair of my socks. Yea, you get the picture. Circus people. We are dressed like circus people. (No offense to any circus people who might be reading this entry, I love the circus I truly do, it's just the mis-matched clothing, and bright colors, I have a problem with, well not on you circus people, just ummm, on my family) Not to mention the Mt. Everest and K2 of laundry that has piled up.

Then, the faucet of the shower broke. Something let go, inside. It has had a steady leak for a while. Which the landlord neglecting to fix. Anyway, it finally just blew a gasket, so to speak. And the water just kept pouring out, no matter how tight you turned the dam knob. So I called the landlord. He called the cellar troll. (ok I need to explain, there are 2 people that live in my cellar. It is an apartment down there. I, for some reason, started calling them trolls, like the trolls that live under bridges? And they have no windows and no natural light down there, hence the name troll. I don't know why my brain works the way it does but anyway....they are trolls) So the troll comes running up the stairs, banging on the door, "Skankie Frankie, said your house is flooding!?" (Yes, I call the landlord Skankie Frankie, but that is another story). So he, with his troll like wisdom, said, I will have to shut the water off at the main shut off. OK fine. But it took 24 hours for the dam plumber to fix it. I suspect that Skankie Frankie wanted to save a buck and didn't call him right away because it was after hours. So we had no consistent water supply. When ever we needed to wash up, or do dishes, or what ever, I had to descend to troll-ville and ask the troll to to turn on the water for a bit. What fun. Tromping downstairs at 6 in the morning in my bathrobe and miss matched slipper socks, with bed head. They probably have their own cruel nickname for ME now! Crazy, color blind, bed head lady, or some shit.

At least he didn't make me solve a riddle or something first.

I am soo glad it is weekend, I have heat, water and hopefully tomorrow a washer!

Happy Friday!

6 Comments:

Blogger shellibells said...

I bet you look like that girl that sits on the COMFY couch on that cartoon...lmfao

10:39 AM  
Blogger Pissy Britches said...

Damn girl, when it rains it pours doesn't it. I hope you get your washing machine soon. It sucks to not have a washer. Especially with kids!

11:02 AM  
Blogger Closet Metro said...

Great post! You make misery so entertaining. Good luck on conquering K2 with tomorrow's washer.

1:04 PM  
Blogger honestyrain said...

what's next, the roof gonna come down on you. damn. i hope that is all the broken crap you'll see in all of 2005. you've had your share. save some for the rest of us.

and i so love to work alone too.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Random and Odd said...

do email me during the day if you get bored. The only I email I get at work are about stupid towers and audit crap.

kstone@wam-us.com

Please?

3:16 AM  
Blogger Mrs.Strizzay said...

If I worked alone I would never make any money but it would be nice still. Where the hell are you living? Your landlord is a dink.

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home