Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Call me Van Gogh

I just got up from my desk with my ear piece still connected to my phone and I nearly ripped my ear off! That made me think of Van Gogh. Van Gogh made me think of the trip I took this past Sunday to an area museum, to see some fine art.

I had such a great time. Hubby went with me and had never been to a museum such as this before. I could have walked around and studied the beautiful art work all day, but my feet got tired and Hubby's back started to hurt, it's tough getting old. My most favorite peices were of the expressionists, oh god I love Claude Monet. I could look at his paintings all day long and never get bored. And of course the there was the 8 foot high hand carved wooden Buddha and the Egyptian mummy and his sarcophogas. I forget his name, but he was a high preist.

When we left, and we were driving home, I asked what Hubby's favorite piece was. His reply was touching. He said my favorite piece was watching you stare at the artwork, how you study it and your eyes light up. Awwwee, he is so sweet.

You see I have a degree in graphic design. Which means I also studied fine arts for, maybe two years. Now I know what you are thinking, if I have a degree in design, how the hell did I become an office manager? Yea, I ask myself that question too. When I graduated, I was burnt out. Really, really burnt out. You see I went to school, full time and had 4 kids to take care of at the same time. And anyone who has taken art classes knows they kick your ass. So yea, I was burnt out. I decided I wanted my artwork just for me. In other words I did not want to create art to someone elses standards i.e. a client. So I fell back on my former training and got a job managing an office. Less stress. Kind of.

This past Sunday at the museum, I awakened something with-in myself that had been dormant since graduation. I think I may be ready to go back to design. It would be a nice thing to have back in my life again! Anyone want to hire a graphic designer?

Happy Tuesday!

7 Comments:

Blogger Charlotte in Pa said...

The art museum here in Philly is fabulous! I love the Armor Room with all of the suits or armor, shields, and swords. They also have one of VanGogh's "Sunflowers" paintings as well as some great Monets. It's a fun museum and Sundays are "pay what you wish" if you get there before noon. I LOVE that!

10:43 PM  
Blogger Pissy Britches said...

What a great discovery. A degree in Art huh? That is fabulous!

10:00 AM  
Blogger The Merry Widow said...

Or maybe your ear piece is Mike Tyson! (By the way it ripped off your ear.)

4:09 PM  
Blogger Hippo said...

Whatever happenned to Maine, geez, I've been waiting weeks for you. The snow left for a few weeks and I saw my first bitch moose of the season tromping up the road, idiotically looking for it's calf. The Maine Senate recently proposed a statewide dental plan but it was shot down by the governor. He said, and I quote, "it will bankrupt the state into a budgetary state that we will never climb out of."

Dr. H.O. Potamus

9:26 PM  
Blogger Closet Metro said...

I loooove Monet too. I heard that he once said something to the effect of he wished that he had been born blind, and then gained sight, so that he could paint what he saw without any pre-conceived notions of what it was; he could paint what he saw without his knowledge of what it is effecting his vision. I always thought that it was an interesting perspective.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Pissy Britches said...

Well you little shit! You done went and changed your template on me!
Love it!

1:44 PM  
Blogger Sissychong said...

Hippo - I am still working on the moving to Maine, waiting to lose a few teeth I guess, actually I am visiting this weekend! woohoo, can't wait!


Pissy - Kristine did it! I love it too!

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home