Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Seventeen Yrs. Old


Randy 006
Originally uploaded by Sissychong.

I was so proud of you in everything you did. You played little league, you took karate. Only for a little while though. Those two hobbies didn't really appeal to you. You loved video games. You used to kick my butt when we played Mario Brothers. And you were what 7? Some where along the line you developed a love for wrestling. Your little league coach had given us some tickets to a local show, we saw several local shows and you were hooked! You went from wrestling around the parlor with your sister to back yard wrestling with all of your friends, a real ring and real shows. Then you wrestled semi-professional. Wow, the first time I saw a match I was in awe. You were great! Your stage name was Omega. I made a sign that said, "Omega Rocks!" I proudly waved it around and screamed as loud as I could when you came out! I lost my breath when you got thrown out of the ring and landed flat on your back on the concrete. Good thing you were ok, or I would have had to kick some semi-pro wrestler's butt. Or at least pull his hair!

I don't remember when you got your first skateboard. I don't remember who introduced you to that, but I am glad they did. You can flip that skateboard around like nobodies business. That is where you got the nickname FlipKid I guess. Even today I love to watch you skate, it amazes me how you are able to command that board.

When you left school it broke my heart. I was so sad and worried about you. The only way I could react was to help you, love you, support you. I wasn't happy about it but this is where unconditional love comes in. I just had to keep pointing you in the right direction and hope you would find the right path. And eventually you did. It was many grey hairs and sleepless nights later but you did. I could never understand how some of your friend's parents could kick them out on the street with no where to go. I guess it was their style of parenting. But it sure wasn't mine. I tried to be 14, 15, 16, 17 again and put myself in your shoes to understand how you were feeling. I think that worked pretty well.
Those were rough years, but we stuck together and got thru them.

I think of you now and I am filled with pride. You have turned out to be quite a young man. You have your own place now. It was so hard to bring you there. But in my heart I knew it was the right thing to do. The best thing for you was a fresh start. These past 4 months have been hard for me. I miss you so much. Sometimes I will be home and I hear a skateboard go down the street and I automatically think, "Randy is home" And then I realize that you are not. This year was filled with a lot of firsts for us too. First Easter apart, first Mother's Day apart and now your first Birthday away from me. I realize we have entered into another chapter of our relationship and I am getting used to it.

We have never been rich. We have not always had everything we wanted, when we wanted it, but I hope you know that my heart was always overflowing with love for you. I guess I just wanted to say I love you, I am proud of you and thank you for all of the beautiful memories I have of the past 19 years.

Happy Birthday Randy!

(Tomorrow I will post a picture of him now at 19)

3 Comments:

Blogger shellibells said...

OMG what an awesome post!!! Need I say more?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RAH RAH!

11:00 AM  
Blogger Charlotte in Pa said...

How fabulous! And what a looker - holy cow! Happy Birthday to the kid!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Random and Odd said...

that truly is one beautiful post
and your son is lucky to have you as a mom.

and uh...your son...HUBBA HUBBA! he's a hottie!

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home