Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Thoughts On Migration

This weekend my family and I are making a trip to the great state of Maine. Yes, another one. Yes, we were just there two short weeks ago. We are going to view and apartment/duplex that really seems to good to be true. (pinch me)

The place is big enough for us. It is in our price range. The manager has given me the impression that we can have it if we want it. From researching the town online, it seems to be everything we are looking for. A quiet, rural, scenic place to live. There will be no pop-capping in this town for sure. No more street fights, on sunny days because drunkards can not hold their tongues. There are 93,000 less people in this town, than where we live now.

My kids are going to have major culture shock if we move there. But in a good way. I can picture my son saying, "Mom those two guys are shaking hands.....aren't they supposed to be spouting swear words and punching each other?"

I am both scared and excited to see the place. Excited for obvious reasons but at the same time I am picturing a shack in the woods with an outhouse. I need a flushing toilet people. A bear may pee in the woods but Sissy, does not. Unless I am drunk and it is an emergency...but that is another story all together.

I am also scared that it will be everything that we want. Then we will be moving, and that's scarey in itself. I have no clue how to co-ordinate a long distance move. Is there such a thing as a "long distance move" planner? Like a wedding planner on wheels? What's so hard right? Rent the truck, pack it up, drive it, unpack it, be happy. Seems easy enough. I better refill my valiums before I undertake this migration because the closest Dunkin Donuts is 42 miles away!

Anyone ever move their family hundreds of miles? Please share your experiences.

Happy Wednesday!

6 Comments:

Blogger Random and Odd said...

I haven't moved them, the thought of moving across the street scares me.

SENDING YOU LOTS OF STRENGTH!!

12:26 PM  
Blogger muse said...

Wow, that's so exciting! I've never moved a whole family so far away, so I can't help with that, but I wish you all the best, may everything go smoothly! :)

P.S. If you do move to Maine, I'll be foreved green with jealousy, yet also very happy for you!

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Michelle (smoochdog) said...

I live in Massachusetts and I would LOVE to live in Main. What part of CA are you coming from. Just be forewarned it gets COLD and SNOWY and the winters are long. BUT on the upside. People are nicer, pace of life is slower and it is gorgeous. Plus LL Bean is there! I love that store. Drop me an email and let me know what part of Maine and I can send you some tidbits I might know. My husband nad I have been talking about moving there too - we aren't movign for a few years when we can buy a house. Good Luck!

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Michelle said...

P.S. Yes there is such a thing as a long distance move planner. I would try a search on Google and if not let meknow. I think my friend used one when she moved from Boston to Seattle.

2:52 PM  
Blogger shellibells said...

Well, even tho i didn't go far, i have moved 3 times in the past year and IT SUCKS. You should not move you need to stay here and be close to Shelli. Imagine what our phone bill will be like?
Ok, I'm kidding, that is not how I really feel. I hope you are very happy whatever you end up doing, and it's obvious there is no happiness where you are, and I can't say I blame you. I only moved a town over as you know and it's a whole nuther world. I wish you the best, as long as you promise to come visit and still chat with me all day on IM. And sure, i can help you move. :)
*hugs*
(PS SMOOCHDOG- we are in Massachusetts, too...not Cali! ;)

7:53 PM  
Blogger Pissy Britches said...

Well good luck girly. I hope it is everything you are wishing for!
I have never moved very far. I am about 85 miles away from my home town of PO' Dunk Holler right now and it KILLS ME. I hate being away from home..but then again I never left the place till I was 23 years old. That could explain it.
Let us know how it goes mmmkay!

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home