Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Big Brothers

When I was a kid I always wanted a big brother. Someone I could tag along with, someone I could look up to. Like Joanie and Ritchie Cunningham of Happy Days. I could be his cute little sister and then when I got a bit older I would have a crush on one of his geeky friends. At some point we would become friends and not so much siblings. We would do stuff together like hang out at Arnold's and double date in bobby socks. Well I would wear the bobby socks not him.

Yesterday, for the first time I was glad I did not have an older brother. Older brothers? They do mean things to their little sisters. They try to trick them. Poor sweet innocent little sisters trust their brothers and big brothers take advantage of that. And then they laugh, they laugh so hard their face turns red and they can barely breath! They laugh so hard at little sisters in distress that they just about pee their pants!

Although I never saw this on Happy Days, it happens. It's like the Underground Big Brother Society. Secretly, their mission is to torture little sisters everywhere. Just because they are cute. Just because when they came into the world everyone oohed and aaahed over them. There by taking away the "center of attention" status of the big brother. Yesterday, my son was inducted into the UBBS Hall of Fame.

Kyle (8) and Cassidy (6) where sitting together at the table eating scrambled eggs for supper. (yea sometimes we have breakfast for supper, so shuddduppp!) I was baking chocolate chip cookies for dessert. The first batch was cooling and I placed a nice warm cookie on each of their napkins.

What I am about to tell you happened so naturally. It was as if Kyle had planned and rehearsed this moment for a week. He picked up his cookie, pretrended to dip it in the ketchup on his plate that was left over from his eggs. He took a bite and proclaimed that chocolate chip cookies dipped in ketchup are DELICIOUS! He then looked at his sister and said one small phrase. "You should try it". Cassidy picked up her cookie whole heartily dipped in her ketchup and took a big ole bite. She chewed for half a second until her taste buds registered the tangy tasting concoction. Her eyes got big, her mouth was clamped shut but her cheeks were puffed up with air like she was going to spew a mouth full of chewed ketchup chip cookie all over the kitchen. He laughed and laughed and laughed. I helped her spit out the nastiness and whispered in her ear that we would get him back when he least expected it. She looked at me all serious-like and shook her head up and down.

He was still laughing.

Happy Tuesday!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Charlotte in Pa said...

It's not just brothers. My oldest sister once tricked me into eating a piece of dry cat food using a similar tactic. She pretended to eat it, but really dropped it down her shirt. In case you were wondering, Friskies isn't pleasant.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Sissychong said...

Well then I am glad I did not have ANY older siblings! Unfortunately I WAS the older sibling, but I didn't torture anyone with such things, man I missed out. The worst I did was hit my brother in the head with a pillow that weighed more then him, everyday........for a month.....I think I gave him brain dmamge! But had I known I could have tricked him into eating things....ha ha ha...my childhood would have been much more fun. {{Note to self: do not stash friskies in backpack for survial food, in case we get lost when hiking in the mountains of Maine}}

2:34 PM  
Blogger shellibells said...

HAHAHAAA lest not forget the time you dressed ya brother up in a Qbert costume...I believe he is still suffering the pain from that...among other things, like the brick pillow. ohh, wooah is him, he's lucky i wasn't his sister...pfff! (eww, thank god i wasn't)
I know how Lil' Diva feels, I have a big brother AND a younger brother, and when they get together to plot and scheme, the whole world is in danger, lookouuuuwt!!
they are sooo mean!!

3:40 PM  
Blogger Pissy Britches said...

You make me happy that I was an only child! Very cute story Sissy!

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home