Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Feelin' Shitty Wit Da Nitty Gritty!

I really feel like shit right now. I hurt someone's feelings. Someone I don't even know, but I know I hurt her feelings. She wouldn't look me in the eye...that's how I know.

I waited on an English couple for lunch the other day. They were very nice and I loved their accents. I don't remember what he had for lunch, but she had a crab salad sandwich on a baguette. We chit chatted off and on while I was serving them. When they were done eating as I took their plates, she asked me to tell the chef that her sandwich had been absolutely looveely (insert English accent here). So I did. When I told the chef there were a few others standing around, everyone laughed out loud at what I said....you see I mimicked the English accent. When I say they laughed I mean they laughed......loud. I immediately knew that the couple where in hearing distance of this. I felt so bad. I even tried to convince myself that they couldn't have possibly heard. But I knew, as soon as I walked back out on the floor they had. The smile was gone from her face, and she wouldn't look at me.

I swear I didn't mean to be hurtful and I wasn't making fun of her accent. I wish I had, had the balls to apologize to her. She must think americans are bumbling idiots.

UGH!

Happy Fucking Tuesday!

4 Comments:

Blogger Pissy Britches said...

Oh Sissy..it was just a joke. That's all. Don't feel bad. People make fun of my accent all the time. Mostly my husband.
imagine..that.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Hippo said...

I went to the Fryeburg Fair Sunday...missed you..will be there again for the racing on Friday...see you

Dr. H.O. Potamus

9:30 PM  
Blogger muse said...

You've very sweet, Sissy. :)

Mistakes happen (misunderstandings), besides, I'm sure that she's forgotten all about it now.

Unrelated, but: the idea of you, gutsy woman taking care of her family, working at a diner in beautiful Maine, in Fall, brings all sorts of movie images to mind (namely The Spitfire Grill cafe - without the tragedy! hehe -, In the bedroom -again without the tragedy!-, Stephen King flicks -without the horror! LOL... hmmm, why are all the New England movies that I remember either tragic or horror related? hehe... Oh, no, here's a better one: Empire Falls, starring an aging Ed Harris!).

For some reason the combination of spunky you + diner + family + Maine is rather "archetypal Americana glam" for me, in that understated/casual New England sort of way, the stuff that novels are made of.

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Help me Dude, I'm lost.

I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw Elvis in the supermarket yesterday.

No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender".

He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a shiny, new plasmatv to go with that blue suede sofa of yours.

But Elvis said I, In the Ghetto nobody has a plasma tv .

Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger then I'm gonna go home and ask Michael Jackson to come round and watch that waaaay cool surfing scene in Apocalypse Now on my new plasma tv .

And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . .

"You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on "

Strange day or what? :-)

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home