Wednesday, January 04, 2006

It's not a Maine thing I swear!

When I was in Massachusetts for the holidays, Shelli and I had a conversation in which I used the phrase "hen-pecked". When she finally stopped laughing, like 5 minutes later when she started to turn blue, she said she had never heard of that. "Is that a "Maine" thing?", she quipped. So I am taking a survey to prove to her that it is not a Maine thing. Has anyone else ever heard of or used this phrase? If so, what is your definition?

5 Comments:

Blogger shellibells said...

HAHAH see no one responded...

THOUGHT so! pfft!

What else could you do besides PECK like a hen when you have NO TEETH, anyhow?

7:48 PM  
Blogger Charlotte in Pa said...

I've lived in Michigan, New Jersey, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Utah, and Arizona. I've heard the term "hen-pecked" numerous times... and probably in each of the aforementioned states. It usually refers to a husband who is whipped - does whatever his wife wants.

Sorry, Shell. :-)

8:07 PM  
Blogger Pissy Britches said...

Well I don't know what the hell that means..but I am sure there is a lot of shit down here that SBells would die if she heard.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Closet Metro said...

Hen-pecked made its way to Minnesota too, but I think the phrase died out with our great-grandparents.

12:01 PM  
Blogger shellibells said...

HAHAHAAAAAAAAA thank you metro!! lol

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home